Why is welcoming breastfeeding important?
It is important that we support breastfeeding in the community to:
- Reconnect new mothers to community
- Increase breastfeeding duration
- Safe locations
- Empower women to breastfeed in public
How will my business benefit?
Babies love people who make it easy for their mothers to breastfeed! New mothers who are breastfeeding often confront criticism for breastfeeding in public. As a result, many mothers face isolation by choosing to stay at home in the early months of their baby’s life. When your business welcomes breastfeeding mothers, you increase the health and well being of our community and increase your customer satisfaction. By joining this campaign, your business will be recognized on the Maryland Breastfeeding Coalition website. Look how many new mothers in Maryland are breastfeeding in their babies’ early months:
79.8% initiate breastfeeding in Maryland 43.6% are exclusively breastfeeding at 3 months 23.1% are exclusively breastfeeding at 6 months
One reason for the lower numbers in later months is because women do not feel comfortable breastfeeding in public. Making your business breastfeeding friendly is good for the health of our community and good for your business too!
- Breastfed infants face a lower risk of infections and illnesses such as asthma, ear infections, rashes, and diarrhea.
- Mothers who breastfeed are less likely to get type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, breast and ovarian cancers.
- These benefits are more likely to occur when babies are only fed breast milk and when breastfeeding continues for longer durations.
The statistics above show that the majority of new mothers breastfeed. You probably also know that women are responsible for 85% of all consumer purchases. Being a breastfeeding-friendly business increases your appeal to this important group of consumers.
How can I help the staff be supportive of breastfeeding?
Click here for an educational program for your staff on the importance of breastfeeding for our community and your business – it only takes 15 minutes and will include helpful responses your staff can use when questions arise about a breastfeeding mother and child. Find and print the highlights of the training here.
How can my business join the campaign?
It’s easy to join our “Breastfeeding Welcome Here Campaign.” Do the following:
- Have a policy that allows women to nurse within your establishment in any non-employee only area and educate your staff on that policy.
- Display the “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” window cling within your business where customers will see it.
- Click the button below to take the “Breastfeeding Welcome Here” pledge
Join Maryland businesses today by joining our Breastfeeding Welcome Here Campaign. Improve the health of our community and your business’s bottom line – remember: Babies love people who make it easy for their mothers to breastfeed! Click here for a list of businesses who have taken the pledge.